New Year’s buns.

So the new year seems to be going ok.

On New Year’s Eve, Lyn and I ran the kids around all day and didn’t let them take a nap in order that they would ‘retire’ early and leave us the evening. Our plan of sleep deprivation worked, although it almost backfired. As part of the plan – against our better judgement we went to the Costco today. Nuts – that almost wore us out. Never have I ever been run into by as many shopping carts in the span of one morning. Never.

To finish off the year, we sat on the living room floor and had fondue after the kids were asleep. We flipped back and forth between Regis’ coverage of the ball drop, Anderson Cooper’s coverage of the ‘Drag Queen Drop’ and a movie channel that was running the Godfather uncut. It was great – personally I’d have stuck with the Godfather the whole way through, but women just don’t get it. We drank half a bottle of red wine, I would have drank more, but Lyn needed the rest of the bottle for some beef stew she made today, sort of a buzzkill. Unhindered, I soldiered on after my wine with the perfect apertif to follow a Shiraz Cabernet, 3 Miller Lites.

And people say I’m not cultured.

Today I was up relatively early for someone with a hangover and made breakfast for everyone (sausages, eggs, oj – the whole 9) and then we went to the park to run the kids into the ground again. It worked.

They came back and we fed ’em and put ’em to sleep and I was able to get out on the bike for the first time in 10 days. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

50 degrees out and sunny here today. Silly amounts of mud on the trails – I probably shouldn’t have been out there but oh well. I wore my new Gaerne winter shoes and even stopped to stand in a water crossing for a few minutes to test their ‘waterproofness’.

I was standing in the water looking at my shoes sort of splashing around and talking to myself like an idiot. Some hiker comes along. I have no idea how long he’d been standing there.

“Loose something?” He queried from the bank.

I was wearing shorts in 50 degree weather, covered in mud, dressed like a cyclist, yet splashing around in the water with nary a bike in sight (it was tucked away out of view). He looked at me like I was an alien.

I looked up, still sort of chuckling to myself, then explained that I had just gotten these shoes for winter riding and wanted to see if they really were waterproof as the company had said. Sure enough, dry as a bone!

He seemed non-plussed.

It didn’t even register to me at the time. I just went back to splashing around. I was lost in a world of bike geek gear lust.

He walked off. It didn’t occur to me until about 20 minutes later how strange I must have looked. He must have thought me mad.

I had a great ride and alot of fun. The best part was when I got home there were 3 Pillsbury Cinnamon Buns left over from what I’d made at breakfast sitting on the counter.

If that’s not a good omen for the New Year, I don’t know what is.