I’ve been quiet here on the interwebs lately. Hardly still in the real world though. Very busy with work, hockey season and working on Emma’s room. I realized I hadn’t posted an update for awhile. Got the first coat of primer on the walls today. Chugging along. If I’m done with it by January 1, I’ll consider it a win. Don’t ever mud drywall yourself folks. Just, don’t.
So, renovations are afoot at The Fack Ranch. We’re adding a bedroom in the basement for the 2nd oldest kid as she will maybe be staying through university. The previous window was not large enough to allow egress in the case of a fire, so that meant cutting a bigger hole in the foundation to allow for a bigger window.
I found a contractor who had done many of these, he would excavate, cut the hole and install the window well/drain – he just didn’t do the window, so after waffling on it a bit, I decided to do it myself. My biggest concern, being the first window I’ve installed, was that I’d get the measurements wrong and have the contractor cut the hole the wrong size. I was a bit paranoid. But drew it all out (the photo here actually has the wrong dimensions) and did the math many times. I figured I had it.
It was a fascinating process watching him cut the concrete and then even more amazing to watch his dexterity with the mini-excavator. I wish I’d gotten video, but I only got stills when he used the bucket on the thing as a pick to gradually move and pivot the huge slab out of the window opening. I have a whole new appreciation for these heavy-equipment operators.
Overall the install went really well, I’m really happy with how it turned out. I’ll be trimming up the outside to hide the waterproofing membrane and working on raking out the yard and throwing down some grass seed.
Still to come, a new electrical panel, then finish framing, drywall, paint, drop-ceiling and floor installations.
Adding a room in the basement for Emma – everyone will finally have their own room when it’s done! Started roughing in walls. Still a lot to do. We will need a new electrical panel installed – we’ve needed it for a long time, but it will be in this room, so want to get it done before sealing the walls up. Also need to cut a hole in the foundation for new, larger window to allow for egress as well as let some more natural light in. One step at a time.
When I put in the trellis’ for my raspberries and blackberries it occurred to me that it might be cool to have some post cap lights on the top. I wasn’t sure how bright they’d be – just thought it might be interesting in the yard at night. One possible other thing would be that if bright enough, they might discourage critters at night. I ordered some up and installed them yesterday. Easy, affordable and efficient. The photos in the dark were challenging and don’t really do them justice, but you get the idea. I think they might not also have been fully charged. Might try and get a better ‘lighted’ photo later.
Work completed on a trellis for a row of blackberries to go in next to raspberries at The Ranch.